Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tasting- Twin Oaks Tavern Winery Norton 2012

Week 3


Name: Twin Oaks Tavern Winery Norton
Variety: Norton grapes
Region: Bluemont, Virginia
Country: USA
Year: 2012
Price: Unknown, a friend shared it. And he had purchased a case of it.
Food? No

Description from the Vineyard: "Rich and velvety, our award-winning Norton is made in American oak barrels and has vivid smoky layers with overtones of cherry, tobacco and cedar."


My Review: My friends and I decanted and enjoyed this wine over the course of three hours. Upon first opening the bottle, you could detect the carbonation done by the vineyard. The effervescent texture caught me off guard, I didn't expect that sort of carbonation from a red wine. 

First Round: 0 hours
The wine smelled like leather and tobacco, or "Virginia circa 1600". The smells were lovely. The wine tasted heavily of tannins and leather. The acidity was moderate, and the wine felt thick on my tongue. 

Second Round: 2.5 hours in decanter
By this point the smell had mellowed out. The tastes had changed though, a tartness had developed on the front palette that wasn't in the newly opened wine. The wine still tasted leathery. It felt like I had licked a horse saddle. 

Overall, it was an interesting wine and a fantastic experiment in decanting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment