Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tasting- Dibon Cava Brut Reserve

Week 3


Name: Dibon Cava Brut Reserve
Variety: Cava blend, made with Macabeo, Xarel-lo, and Parellada
Region: Penedes
Country: Spain
Year: 2011
Price: $11
Food? Paired with steak and potatoes. I would NOT recommend this pairing. 

Description from NaturalWine.com: "Light gold with plenty of bubbles, this wine has aromas of apples and pears with pleasant floral notes. Crisp and light-bodied on the palate, stone fruit flavors are accompanied by a mild minerality and balanced acidity. A delicious sparkler for a great price! Winemaking Details: Natural Yeast Fermentation."


My Review: This is an effervescent wine! I tried the swirl and sniff method, but I just got a nose full of carbon dioxide and bubbles. The wine is a light straw color, and does not have a strong taste to it. It is a moderately acidic wine, with notes of pear and minerals. I felt like the carbonation masked a lot of the flavor of the wine. 

I paired the wine with dinner, which happened to be steak and potatoes. The peppery meat brought out more acidity and tone down the fruity flavors of the wine. I would not recommend pairing this wine with red meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment