Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tasting- Tenuta di Arceno Chianti Classico Riserva

Week 3



Name: Tenuta di Arceno Chianti Classico Riserva
Variety: Mostly Sangiovese grapes, blended with Canaiolo, Colorino, Ciliegiolo, and Mammolo
Region: Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2008
Price: Unknown- it was a gift
Food? Paired with mushroom and olive Pizza

Description from the Vineyard: "A reserve level Sangiovese blend crafted from carefully selected blocks in the finest vineyards. Aged a minimum of 24 months for greater complexity.
Aromas/ Flavors: Dark cherry, earth, licorice, tobacco and toasty oak."


My Review: I thought the wine smelled interesting- I detected yeasty notes, almost like I was smelling a nice hard pretzel. The taste was not in the same vein as the nose, though. It was smooth and oaky, you could tell it was aged for a long time in an oak barrel. A large amount of tannins were on the front of the wine, and it tasted slightly bitter. This is one of my first Chiantis, and I look forward to drinking more! I wonder if this pretzel taste is indicative of the style, or my palette is off.

I drank this out of a glass cup, so I'd also like to try this with proper glassware.

No comments:

Post a Comment