Sunday, February 15, 2015

Tasting- Ilurche Tempranillo

Week 4



Name: Ilurche Tempranillo
Variety: 50% Tempranillo, 50% Graciano
Region: Rioja
Country: Spain
Year: 2008
Price: $14, sale for $6
Food? No

Description from the Vineyard: "Tempranillo is the main grape in Rioja. With our tempranillo, thanks to the sun and weather can offer a well-structured, mature and fruity wine. Our tempranillo vineyards are located in Serrano area (50 years old), Rihuela area (15-30 years old), and Saso (20 years old). 

We use tempranillo grapes (different blends and proportion) to make Ilurche red wine, crianza, Vendimia Seleccionada Crianza, and Reserva."

Description from the Vintage Cellar:
"88 points – Stephen Tanzer
Dark purple. Zesty, youthfully medicinal aromas of dark berries, licorice and cracked pepper. Juicy and fresh, with smooth texture and sweet cherry and spice flavors framed by dusty tannins. Finishes with a suggestion of slightly roasted fruits and good clinging persistence. Delivers a lot of power and richness for the money."


My Review: I had a hard time discerning flavors and smells from the nose of this wine, I was overpowered by the smell of the tannins. The taste however was very easy to dissect- it was very peppery. I also picked up on the "dusty tannins" described by the Vintage Cellar. While I was tasting it, I tried to compare the flavor to the girls pouring wine as licking a dusty spoon, or drinking out of a dirty glass. They just stared at me like I was insane, which I guess is accurate, considering I know what dusty flatware tastes like.

Definitely an interesting wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment