Sunday, February 22, 2015

Tasting- Catena Zapata Malbec

Week 5



Name: Catena Zapata Malbec
Variety: 100% Malbec, blended from the Catena Zapata vineyards Adrianna and Nicasia.
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2010
Price: Unknown; shared at a tasting
Food? Had just eaten caviar before tasting, which imparted a fishy, garlicky taste to the wine.

Description from the winery: "This wine represents more than a single vintage. It reflects a family’s century-long journey to produce an Argentine Malbec that can stand with the great wines of the world.
Malbec Argentino is a blend of Catena Zapata’s historic Malbec vineyards, Adrianna and Nicasia. The wine is made from a meticulous vine selection within the best, historic rows of these family estate vineyards."

My Review: This wine was excellent! I detected wood and warm spices on the nose, which I believe is substantiated by the wine's 24-month long wait in French oak barrels. I picked up on spicy components in the taste, like black pepper and hot peppers. The wine is very tannic. While drinking this wine, I was hopping back and forth between my friends and the caviar dish. Some notes of brine and fishiness were on my palette while enjoying the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment