Sunday, March 1, 2015

Tasting- Takutai Pinot Gris

Week 6


Name: Takutai Pinot Gris
Variety: Pinot Gris
Region: Nelson
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2009
Price: $21, on sale for $6.95
Food? At first tasting, none. At second tasting, pan seared salmon with risotto and slow roasted tomatoes. 

Description from the Vintage Cellar: "Since this wine weighs in at 14%, the fruit was clearly very ripe. That ripeness is reflected in the flavors as well, which feature nectarine and honey accented by hints of white pepper. It’s full bodied and lush, with a long finish that mingles the sensations of sweet and spicy."

My Review: When I tasted this at the Vintage Cellar, I detected more savory notes than fruit notes. I bought a bottle because I was so intrigued! The wine is crisp, not too dry, and there are fantastic faint honeysuckle flavors that I love. When I opened the bottle at home, it wasn't as savory as I remembered, but still very good. It paired nicely with my dinner, and the brightness complimented the risotto and fish. Definitely glad I grabbed this at such a great price!

No comments:

Post a Comment