Sunday, March 15, 2015

Tasting- Feudo Arancio Stemmari Nero d'Avola

Spring Break


Name: Feudo Arancio Stemmari Nero d'Avola
Variety: Nero d'Avola
Region: Sicily
Country: Italy
Year: Unknown
Price: $10 a glass (overpriced.... ugh.)
Food? Paired with cheese- see Cheese Pairing post

Description from the Winery: 
"Color: Deep ruby-red with pleasant reflections of violet.
Bouquet: Intense and covered, notes of currant stick out, wild strawberries, and pomegranate.
Flavor: Soft and velvety. Distinct characteristics of fruitiness come forth."

My Review: My experience with this wine could not be more different than the description from the Winery. I loved this wine because of its earthiness and charcoal profile.

On the nose, I picked up herbaceous notes and hearty earthy notes. Mushroom and earth were very present, and it reminded me of a wood fired pizza. The taste was exactly in line with the scent, as well. The wood fired pizza sensation was a novelty on the palate- my friends and I got a kick out of how much it reminded us of that taste. I would love to have it again, if it was guaranteed to taste like my previous glass, rather than the fruity description from the winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment